Michael Healy MP, Member for Cairns recently launched the Grow Your Own Workforce resource hub (www.gyoworkforce.com.au) – a new online resource that will support health providers to attract, recruit and develop their local workforce, at the Grow Your Own: Solving our remote and regional workforce needs forum on Thursday 9 August 2018 in Cairns.
The resource hub, developed by the Health and Community Services Workforce Council (Workforce Council) in partnership with Queensland Health, was showcased to human services providers as they joined together to explore priority workforce challenges and solutions for the state’s regional and remote workforce.
Hosted by the Workforce Council, the forum unpacked local workforce issues, highlighted potential solutions and provided insights from successful place-based workforce approaches that have been implemented across the state.
The clear message to come out of the forum was that the health industry faces some major workforce challenges, but they are surmountable if we start working together now to address them.
Forum attendees heard from:
- Ivan Neville – Branch Manager, Labour Market Research and Analysis, Australian Department of Jobs and Small Business
- Karen Mounsey – Executive Manager Organisational Development, Apunipima Cape York Health Council
- Aileen Addo – Apunipima Cape York Health Council Board and Mayor of Mapoon
- Karen Webster – Assistant Director of Nursing – Strategic Support, Logan Bayside Health Network
- Michael Gleadow – CEO, Connect ‘n’ Grow
- Rick Phineasa – Engagement Manager, Seed Foundation Australia
- Warren Locke – Workforce Council Board Member and Program Manager, Leadership, Capability and Placement, Queensland Department of Health
- Quentin O’Grady – Senior Director, Workforce Strategy Branch – Strategy, Policy and Planning Division, Queensland Department of Health
- Michelle Templin – Manager Health and Aged Care Workforce Services, Workforce Council
By bringing together the data, key stakeholders and levers for change, the group established a commitment to next steps for creating Grow Your Own Workforce solutions.